Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A60 Optical Sound Dip - fixed by Samsung TV update.
Just upgraded from the brilliant Bar12 to the A60.

A60 is optically fed from a Samsung QE Q7. Xbox One X is main media player and source for films etc.

Never had issue with Bar12, just done the software update for A60 dip issue - no fix.

Sound keeps sporadically dips/cuts out for a second then back in. Seems to be related when either playing games, watching films or playing audio through the Xbox. Terrestrial/Free View TV doesn’t seem to cause any issues.

Any advise as it’s highly annoying. As stated before, Bar12 didn’t present any issues.

Thanks
Hi Ben,

The issue did exist on the bar12, it was just harder to hear.

Essentially for a split second the TV is not producing Audio, the bar12 would likely not have done anything about this. the A60 does, it "dips" around these gaps because it thinks the TV has turned itself off/stopped producing sound.

If your Samsung TV/One connect has AUX try that, if not try Bluetooth.

It will likely be louder and possibly more responsive anyway, just be sure to turn the TV/Headphone volume up to 100%.

As we say, believe your ears.
We are all born with a pair of Audio receivers, are they analogue or digital?
Simon D
Orbitsound Staff

[Image: orbitsound-sig-logo.png]
(05-07-2018, 08:18 AM)Simon D Wrote: Hi Ben,

The issue did exist on the bar12, it was just harder to hear.

Essentially for a split second the TV is not producing Audio, the bar12 would likely not have done anything about this. the A60 does, it "dips" around these gaps because it thinks the TV has turned itself off/stopped producing sound.

If your Samsung TV/One connect has AUX try that, if not try Bluetooth.

It will likely be louder and possibly more responsive anyway, just be sure to turn the TV/Headphone volume up to 100%.

As we say, believe your ears.
We are all born with a pair of Audio receivers, are they analogue or digital?

Well Simon, for these “analogue ears” bar12 was free of this dipping issue. Reading into your reply, I assume the short answer is you don’t have a fix. 

I didn’t buy the A60 for analogue use, and considering how impressive the bar12 was I thought why not try the A60 (especially as you were offering it on a deal, thank you for that btw).

In a surprising turn of events, Samsung have just released a software update for the TV. And if by magic the sound cut/dip has ceased! 

Going forward it may be worth building into your firmware a constant live toslink stream rather than a on/off signal detector.
Hi Ben,

Apologies, not as simple as that I am afraid.

With regard to the TV update, I would be cautious/try AUX if possible.

Samsung have indeed released updates that fix the issue in the past, the next subsequent update then breaks the signal again.

We cannot fix it, the issue is not the bar as this TV update proves.

The update we did release does exactly what you suggest, removes the dip around the sound.

Again on the bar12 it is there, it can be a lot harder to detect though.

In any case I am glad its working okay for now, I still strongly advise a switch to AUX if possible, as long as you are using the Samsung TV in any case.
Simon D
Orbitsound Staff

[Image: orbitsound-sig-logo.png]